Introduction to HPRC
Instructor: Richard Lawrence
Time: Friday, February 12, 10:00AM-12:30PM
Location: Zoom session only
Prerequisites: Unix/Linux skills; HPRC account.
Introduction to using HPRC clusters. Policies, hardware overview, getting connected, file systems, computing environment, development environment, batch processing, and common problems.
This course is delivered in an interactive format - the instructor will tour practical examples using a live terminal, making sure each new concept is well inderstood before moving on to the next.
The presentation slides are available below:
- Introduction to HPRC (Spring 2021)PDF
- Introduction to the Ada and Terra Clusters (Spring 2020): PDF
- Introduction to Terra (Fall 2017): PDF
The material presented in the short course is referenced from the Terra and Grace User Guides.
Outline of topics covered. Because of the interactive nature of this course, some of the topics listed below may be introdcued in a different order and covered to different depths:
- Usage Policies
- Brief Introduction to Parallel Computing
- Hardware Overview of Ada, Grace and Terra
- Accessing Ada, Grace and Terra
- File Transfers
- File systems and User Directories
- Computing Environment
- Application Modules
- Development Environment - Toolchains
- Compiling and Running Application Codes
- Development Environment
- Upcoming Programming Short Courses
- Batch Processing on Grace and Terra
- Batch Queues
- Consumable Computing Resources
- Batch Job Files
- Mapping Job Requirements to Cluster Resources
- Example Job Files
- Job Submission and Monitoring
- Debug job failures
- Service Units (SU)
- Job Environment Variables
- Concurrent Program Execution in Jobs via tamulauncher
- Common Problems
- Need Help?
Note: During the class sessions many aspects of the material will be illustrated live via logins to Grace and Terra. Attendees are welcome to follow these parts with their own laptops. They will need to configure their laptops to use the TAMULink wireless network. Relevant details on this can be found at: http://tamulink.tamu.edu/
You are encouraged to contact the HPRC helpdesk with any questions regarding Grace and Terra.