Post-processing CESM Model Output
Instructor: Abishek Gopal
Location: Zoom session only
Prerequisites: Ada account. Basic experience with Ada, bash, LSF batch system. Basic experience with Python recommended Assumes basic domain knowledge in your respective fields.
This short course will cover some basics of the CESM post-processing workflow, including generating climatology and time-averaged files from CESM model output, and generating diagnostics and visualization of model output, using NCAR’s CESM post-processing utilities (https://github.com/NCAR/CESM_postprocessing). A few hands-on examples will be provided.
Secondly, a short introduction to the Pangeo collection of Python-based geoscience utilities will be provided, followed by a few examples of using the xarray and dask libraries to speed up processing of datasets. No prior experience with generating CESM model output necessary.
The presentation slides are available as downloadable PDF files.
- Brief overview on the structure of CESM model output and netCDF format
- Installing and configuring the CESM_postprocessing package
- Generating time-averages and climatology files
- Producing diagnostics of CESM model runs
- Brief introduction to the Pangeo framework, which includes xarray and dask
- Loading and visualizing datasets using xarray and cartopy
- Speeding up computations using dask
Note: During the class sessions many aspects of the material will be illustrated live via a login to Ada. You are encouraged to contact the HPRC helpdesk with any questions regarding Ada.