Globus Connect is a reliable, high-performance file transfer platform allowing users to transfer large amounts of data seamlessly between systems or endpoints. Users can schedule transfer via a web interface and receive notification after transfer is completed. The endpoint can be systems with Globus installed (like ada-ftn2) or user's personal desktop.
Install / Setup Globus
- First, sign up for a free Globus account. Select "Texas A & M University" from the drop down menu and then login with NetID.
- Optional, you can install Globus Connect Personal on your desktop. Follow instruction from Globus web site.
- Select an endpoint, where data locates
- For Ada, search "TAMU" and use "TAMU ada-ftn1" or "TAMU ada-ftn2" as endpoint.
- For Terra, search "TAMU" and use "TAMU terra-ftn" as endpoint.
- You might be asked to login with your NetID/NetID Password if you login globus.org web page with Globus ID
- The default directory is your home directory. To access your scratch directory, enter "/scratch/user/YourNetID" in the Path.
- Drag and Drop file or directory as needed.
- After transfer is completed, you should receive an email notification.
Globus Command Line Interface (CLI)
Globus CLI is a standalone application that can be installed on the user’s machine and used to access the Globus service. globus-cli is written in python and can be installed on Linux/Mac by following this installation guide using "pip". Python 2.7+ or 3.4+ is required.
Once login, user can transfer files between two endpoints, or list directory on an endpoint. The login session is valid for two days (see additional note below).
- Installation guide: https://docs.globus.org/cli/installation/
- Installation prerequisites: https://docs.globus.org/cli/installation/prereqs/
- Quick Start guide: https://docs.globus.org/cli/quickstart/
- Examples: https://docs.globus.org/cli/examples/
- Reference: https://docs.globus.org/cli/reference/
- Globus CLI home page: https://docs.globus.org/cli/
- "globus login" will try to open a web page for CAS authentication. Or user can copy/paste the URL onto another browser.
- After login, globus session is valid for 2 days. You can check session status via "globus session show". After two days, "globus session show" will be empty. However, based on our testing, a login session is valid for 10 days.
- To renew your login session, you can use "globus session update" or login web site (https://globus.org globus).
Note for accessing TACC clusters with Globus Connect
For those using TAMU allocation on TACC clusters, your accounts are not part of XSede and additional steps are needed for using Globus Connect at TACC.
- See instruction "Using Globus at TACC" on how to import DN on TACC's portal.
- Choose "TACC Stampede" (for non-XSede accounts) as endpoint