rclone is a tool for syncing files from HPRC systems to remote storage sites like Google Drive, Dropbox, Amazon's AWS and many more. rclone is available on ada, terra and HPRC Lab workstations. No module is required for any of them. If you are using this from ada or terra, then you probably want to use the fast transfer nodes (ftns) (i.e. ada-ftn1.tamu.edu, ada-ftn2.tamu.edu and terra-ftn.hprc.tamu.edu [note the 'hprc' in the last one]).
Configure rclone for your Google Drive
- configure rclone for your destination, in this case your Google Drive (TAMU or not)
- choose: n) New remote
- pick a name for the drive. e.g. mygdrive
- choose the type, in this example we use 11) Google Drive
- select the default (blank) option for the following
- leave Google Application Client Id blank (default)
- leave Google Application Client Secret blank (default)
- choose: 1) Full access to all files
- leave root_folder_id blank (default)
- leave service_account_file blank (default)
- when it ask if you want to auto_config, answer 'n' or 'N' for no
- at this point, rclone will provide a URL for you to log into in order to get an access code. Open the URL in your local browser and login (in this case to Google). If successful, you will get an access code. Copy/paste the code to the rclone prompt: Enter verification code>
- this example is for a non-team drive so answer 'n' to the 'Configure this as a team drive?' prompt
- review settings and choose 'y' to save
- choose 'q' to exit rclone config
- These settings will be stored in $HOME/.config/rclone/rclone.conf and can be transferred between systems as needed if you don't want to run 'rclone configure' again. Be sure to keep them secure.
Use rclone with your Google Drive
- see the rclone man page and --help screen for other commands
- here's a simple backup of one's $HOME directory (from terra)
rclone copy $HOME mygdrive:home-terra
- in your local browser watch as new files are created on your remote storage
- to update your image (as needed) use something like
rclone sync $HOME mygdrive:home-terra
[more to come]
Google Team Drives
- use the steps above
- think of a good (short/easy) name for the team drive you are about to choose
- when prompted to use a team drive, choose 'y'
- you will be given a menu of team drives that you have access to, choose one
- continue like above
- the rclone home page includes more information on services like Dropbox and Amazon AWS S3 and many more.